Highlands United Church is possible only because of the generous giving of people just like you. The ministry and mission of Highlands continue and grow only because of you.
Wherever you come from, whatever your circumstances and wherever you are on your faith journey, your donation is important.
Your Donation Helps Highlands
- Embrace diversity and inclusiveness
- Provide engaging and challenging ministry
- Work for healing and wholeness among the poor and forgotten members of society
- Connect with the world at large
- Supporting women’s collectives in Guatemala
- Building homes with Habitat for Humanity
- Supporting refugees as they search for freedom and life free from hatred and strife
- Respond to disasters through our international faith partners
How to Give
- PAR (Pre-Authorized Remittances)—(Monthly) Your donation is transferred automatically from your bank account on the 20th of each month. Highlands pays no commission on your givings. If you are a new PAR giver, simply complete a request form (98KB PDF).
- Post-dated cheques—Please send a set of post-dated cheques to the church office. Your cheques can be for each month, each quarter, or at whatever intervals you choose.
- Weekly envelopes—Contact the church office to receive a set of dated, numbered envelopes to hold your weekly donation when you put it in the offering plate on Sunday mornings.
- VISA/Mastercard—(Monthly) Your donation is charged automatically to your credit card on the 20th of each month. Highlands pays 2.5% commission to the credit card company. You’ll need to complete a request form (98KB PDF).
- Other—Sometimes people prefer to write a cheque periodically to Highlands during the year, or donate to Highlands United Church through the United Way.
- Special Offering Envelopes—You’ll find envelopes in the pews if you’re visiting Highlands or if you’d like to donate to a special cause. Just fill in your name and address so your donation can be recorded.
- Securities – When you donate securities or mutual funds to Highlands through the United Church of Canada Foundation, no capital gains tax is payable, and you receive a charitable tax receipt for the entire value of the securities. Click here for securities transfer form. See the United Church of Canada Foundation: http://www.unitedchurchfoundation.ca
- More information about giving.
Charitable Donation Tax Receipts
Highlands issues tax receipts for donations of $25 or more that are identified with your name or donor number. You’ll receive a periodic statement of your donations, and a tax receipt at year end. Under current Canadian tax laws, you receive a tax credit of up to 43.7% of the charitable donations you make in a year.
Highlands United Church Heritage Fund
This Heritage Fund is a permanent financial fund that is professionally invested in conservative stocks and bonds and monitored by the Heritage Fund Committee. Only the income generated from contributions to the fund is used by Highlands, ensuring a stable and secure fund for the generations that follow us. Heritage fund income is used to support long-term projects that:
- significantly add to the longevity of Highlands
- increase its vitality as a congregation
- have a direct impact on the community
Highlands United Church is a sacred place that evokes memories of special people or times in our lives. Gifts in memory of a loved one are meaningful, appropriate and appreciated. Memorial gifts go to support the ongoing work of Highlands and, if desired, can be directed to support specific ministries. Contact the Church Office if you’d like to make a memorial gift.
- Bequests through a Will—Bequests are an easy way to leave a final gift to Highlands United Church. You can leave either a specific gift of cash, artwork or other assets, or a portion of your estate.
- Life Insurance—Making the church a beneficiary of a life insurance policy will give you a tax benefit today and provide a future gift to Highlands United Church. With a modest monthly insurance premium for a new policy, you can leave a substantial legacy to the congregation in the future. Your annual premiums are tax deductible.
- Charitable Remainder Trust—You can place cash, property or securities in a trust for Highlands United Church and receive a guaranteed income for life, with substantial tax savings.
Mission and Service Fund
The work of The United Church of Canada across the country and around the world is funded by the Mission and Service (M&S) Fund. Members and supporters of the United Church know that it takes money to put their faith into action. Your donations to the M&S Fund support hundreds of partners and projects in Canada and around the world. Learn more about where your donation to the Mission and Service Fund goes globally.